The Emergency Clinic has been part of the RSPCA York, Harrogate and District Branch since 1960. Every Wednesday the York Animal Home at Landing Lane holds a subsidised Veterinary Clinic. The Clinic is held between 14:00 –15:00 and registration of clients begins at 13:45. Please do not arrive any earlier as the waiting room may not always be available and we have limited space.
Routine vaccinations, flea and worm treatments, x-rays and any surgical procedures, including neutering, are not included in this service. The clinic is often very busy, and appointments are on a first-come-first-served basis, so please be patient if there is a long queue.
The qualifying criteria for this clinic will be:
- You must live in one of the Post Codes covered by the Branch. You can check your postcode here.
- Be in receipt of Housing or Council Tax Benefit. – Proof must be provided of one of these benefits at every visit.
- Pay a fee of £15 for each animal, at each visit. - This fee has not increased since January 2011 and will cover the consultation with the vet and the issue of basic drugs only, for a maximum of one month.
- Every cat, dog and rabbit must be microchipped. – We will provide free microchipping of your animal at the clinic visit. The only exception is, if the clinic vet declares that it is inappropriate to microchip your pet, maybe for reasons of age. This will be recorded on your pet’s medical card so you will not be asked again.
- Every cat, dog and rabbit must be neutered. – If your animal is not neutered, we can give you a voucher to cover the cost of neutering your animal at most veterinary practices in the our area. Again, the clinic vet is the only person who can declare your animal unfit for neutering, maybe for medical reasons. This will be recorded on your pet’s medical card so you will not be asked again. Once the voucher is issued you will have one month to have your pet neutered.
The York Animal Home is also able to issue subsidised neutering vouchers to eligible pet owners. If you are on benefits and would like to see if you qualify for a neutering voucher please contact us during opening hours on 01904 654949.
The clinic is staffed by a qualified Veterinary Surgeon and a Veterinary Nurse, and is administered by volunteers. If you are able to spare a couple of hours, from 13:30 onward, on a Wednesday afternoon, please email email@example.com.
Please note that we reserve the right to refuse anyone access to our clinic.
For more advice on caring for pets please also read the 'All about animals' page on the National RSPCA website - click here